Meta (from the Greek preposition and prefix meta- (μετά-) meaning “after”, or “beyond”) is a prefix used in English to indicate a concept which is an abstraction from another concept..
Meta is also a notion in Computer Science meaning to be self referential, so in our human terms it would translate to thinking / pondering about the self.
After spending quite a few hours reading different books and curating bits of personal development material, I wanted to open source some of my thoughts, to help others and also to get feedback.
This is a continual process, so will be updating this blog post if any new relevant information comes to mind / paper. Hopefully this should provide a general framework to better living.
The 5 health framework
Splitting up our being into 5 different units that can be addressed individually – and referring to them as health factors, is what 5 healths is all about.
The five healths (Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, Physical & Financial) should be looked after on a daily basis, ignoring any would give an imbalance in lifestyle. The five healths vary to some degree (person to person – based on goals).
I’m just going to provide the core of the framework below with brief descriptions, and extensions can be added to each.
Spiritual health focusses on self harmony. Aside from religion, looking at these 5 pillars of spiritual health should provide a sound mind:
- Respect: Treating everyone equally and cognisant of their feelings.
- Honesty: Being open with your actions and intentions.
- Integrity: Having high moral values.
- Generosity: Having an open heart when giving.
- Humility: Viewing your accomplishments as a result of other people / circumstances rather than solely your own actions.
In addition include your personal belief system / religion you follow here. (e.g. Buddhism)
Mental health is all to do with the mind, your learnings and findings. Different aspects to focus on are:
- Education (Primary, Secondary, University education)
- General knowledge
- Reading books / articles
- Taking courses of interest
- Sharpening the mind
Emotional health is about our connections to other people in our lives. Different aspects of emotional health include:
- Relationships with family
- Relationships with partner / significant other
- Relationships with friends
- Relationships with community / world
- Finding mentors to help achieve our goals
- Networking in relevant circles
This refers to our body, three main factors that should be looked at are:
- Sleep (Quality, Quantity and Timing!)
- Exercise (Cardio / Muscular)
(Add more based on your physical goals – such as sport or having a lean diet)
5) Finance / Career
This health covers how you generate income to survive, as money forms the basis of how modern economies function. Different aspects to look at include:
- Own business
- Investments and Assets
To make this framework effective one should add targets to each one of the healths. For example in my physical health I can say that I want to sleep 8 hours a day and fall asleep before midnight each night.
Targets / goals should follow the SMART system, so:
- Time bound
I’ve attached a summarised form of the 5 healths here as a print out. I personally have it above my desk so that I can glance at it atleast once a day. I hope you find this framework as effective as I do!